About Me

My photo
EVELINA DE LAIN TRIO (Piano, Flute and Cello) Virtuoso pianist and composer Evelina De Lain is a unique and multi-faceted artist, effectively blending classical performance, contemporary classical composition and jazz interpretation into an innovative and compelling concert style. This highly-skilled TRIO (featuring incredible flautist Alisa Klimanska and highly-accomplished cellist Frederique Legrand) merges arrangement, improvisation, art, vocal and instrumental performances creating an exclusive and sophisticated aural environment. The programme features a mix of classical, jazz and original music.

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Things that make my life as a musician easier. No 3.

Tool no3. Sibelius.

"Lets take what we feel and write it all down."
  Yellowcard. 

I feel that since I got Sibelius and started creating sheet music - my understanding of myself and my writing process grew considerably.
It's one thing to listen to your own music, but it's completely another thing - to see it coming alive on the screen in front of you, and then on paper.
It's a been a little longer than a year since I started using Sibelius and now it's irreplaceable.

It's completely intuitive, very convenient in every way and it helps me to constantly develop my writing.

I usually record all my new compositions in midi, then I open this midi in Sibelius and edit it untill it looks like something you can play. :)

So far I've created 2 music books and numerous single compositions sheets.
But I'm looking forward to doing more.


I'm telling you, there's nothing like holding your own book in your hands. :)







And this is all possible thanks to Sibelius.

There's a concept called Dreyfus model of skille acquisition (click here to find out more).
And, in my opinion, when you write music intuitively - you are on a "Proficient" level.
But notating your music helps you rise to an "Expert" level.
You suddenly realise your patterns, your style, your favourite chords etc.
Listening to it and seeing it - are completely different things.

Since I started notating my music - I became much more in control of my writing and I can always rely on the inspiration to come when I need it, as opposed to being a "slave of the inspiration".


No comments:

Post a Comment