About Me

My photo
EVELINA DE LAIN TRIO (Piano, Flute and Cello) Virtuoso pianist and composer Evelina De Lain is a unique and multi-faceted artist, effectively blending classical performance, contemporary classical composition and jazz interpretation into an innovative and compelling concert style. This highly-skilled TRIO (featuring incredible flautist Alisa Klimanska and highly-accomplished cellist Frederique Legrand) merges arrangement, improvisation, art, vocal and instrumental performances creating an exclusive and sophisticated aural environment. The programme features a mix of classical, jazz and original music.

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Things that make my life as a musician easier. No 2.

Tool no2. Midi. 
“Better to be a geek than an idiot.”
  Anonymous.

I don't know if I could really be a composer before the invention of midi.
Imagining Mozart composing in his head and then recording 70 orchestra parts on paper by hand with the candlelight - it's just scary.
Since I'm a pianist first and composer second - I write all of my music in improvisational way.
I usually get into "the right state of mind" and then I just play it all the way through.
And then I don't remember a thing about it!
So, I can't be any happier about the possibility to record all the music that comes to me - straight to midi.

In a strange way - sometimes that 1st take is the best one - and some of those first takes end up on a record.

I use Cubase for my recording, but people keep pressuring me to turn to Logic. 
But the thought of learning a new program is too much. :)
So I'm sticking with my "old friend" for now. :)


One of the biggest break-troughs in my composition - was an advice that I record absolutely everything that comes into my head into Cubase.  (It was quite a few years back).
Then I would listen to everything that came to me - and pick out the "worthy parts".
Eventually I trained myself (with the help of some psychological techniques) to figure out exactly when the good composition is "coming", so I switch my midi and my keyboard on - and I'm 100% sure that I'm gonna just write something "complete" (usually, no afterthought or editing necessary).

I call it "Improvisational Composition".



No comments:

Post a Comment